Blessings, Michelle

Finishing up her final semester at seminary, this former news reporter looks forward to begin full-time Christian ministry in the Anglican tradition.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilmore, Kentucky, United States

What you see is what you get.

Friday, September 09, 2005

Here we go (again)...

Well, just got done with my first week of classes of my second year of seminary.

So far, so good.

I'm definitely way less stressed out than I was this time last year. I actually don't think I'm going to have as much homework this semester as I did first semester last year even though I'm taking more hours.

In case you're wondering, I'm taking: philosophy of Christian religion, speech as Christian rhetoric, exegesis of the general epistles and pastoral counseling. I like all my classes. Exegesis will definitely be the hardest and most time-consuming, being that it consists of dealing with the Greek texts. I have a lot of brushing up to do.


I was heartened when I got an email from someone who said they checked my blog after the hurricane hit to see what I had to say about it and about helping out. Needless to say, we're talking a lot about it at the seminary. We're collectively donating money, collecting food, blankets, clothes, hygiene products, toiletries, etc. I'm too tired right now to get into the more philosophical/theological issues this brings up, but suffice it to say for the moment that this gives us the opportunity to put our money where our mouth is.

When you did this for the least of these you did it for me.


One thing I can't help thinking though... we are appalled that this happened and how people were left stranded. At least I've been appalled.

But... there are people -- a lot of people -- in the world whose lot in life is pretty much like those New Orleans residents stranded on rooftops without food... nearly every day of their lives. I think part of our outrage is our belief that this isn't supposed to happen to Americans. That's a troubling notion fraught with all sorts of nasty presuppositions behind it.

If we can't tolerate the sight of Americans struggling like this, how can we tolerate the sight of Nigerians and Sudanese people suffering?

Some good news... the church around here is doing a great job of being the church: reaching out, housing refugees, providing hospitality, etc.

I saw the New Orleans police chief say on the Today Show that there was only one thing giving him the strength to do his job right now: God.

Amen, Brother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home