Blessings, Michelle

Finishing up her final semester at seminary, this former news reporter looks forward to begin full-time Christian ministry in the Anglican tradition.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilmore, Kentucky, United States

What you see is what you get.

Saturday, September 18, 2004

It's classtime!

There's nothing like learning about the life and times of Jesus Christ to shake up your view of reality.

Don't worry; when I say "shake up," I don't mean creating doubts, I mean expanding your mind.

I know next to nothing about first century Palestine, but the little I do know compared with two weeks ago is already tweaking the images in my brain when I read the gospels. It also brings into a little better focus what the heck was really going on in some of Jesus' interactions with different folks.

I know, I know ... a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. But this little bit of knowledge is really stirring up some curiosity in me; intellectual curiosity that I honestly haven't experienced for a long time. I want to read the source texts that help make up the basis of our understanding of that time.

One big one that gets mentioned ALL THE TIME is this guy named Josephus. I don't know much about him yet other than the fact that he was a first century Jew and historian. But his descriptions and commentaries on "current events" are quoted quite a bit in the textbooks on the New Testament in the historical context.

I'm going to have to write a paper pretty soon for my Intro to New Testament class and I'm thinking maybe I can work Josephus into that somehow.

The other place my mind is "expanding" by leaps and bounds is in Greek. It's only been two weeks and we know the alphabet, pronunciation, some basic, active, indicative, present and future verb tenses. We're going to be quizzed on some vocabulary (mostly verbs: preach, teach, glorify, loose, baptize, etc.) as well as conjugations and grammar. A big one, of course, is the verb "to be." In case you ever wondered, "eimi" (ay-mee) is the Greek word for "I am." Or at least it was when the New Testament was being written; we're not learning modern Greek.

Despite the fact that it can be pretty darn confusing, I'm enjoying Greek. I like languages and our texts are designed specifically for the student wanting to read New Testament Greek so the vast majority of the examples in the books are lifted right out of the Bible, which is kinda cool.

Yes, I am doing other things besides studying.

(And now I sit here trying to remember what they are...)

I went swing dancing last weekend and started going to a dance class on campus -- not for credit, just for fun!

OK, I guess I'm studying a lot. :)

I joked during the first week of class that the library is my boyfriend. A friend of mine here from Japan says the library is her boyfriend, too. So, whenever I see her in the library (which is always -- she's there much more than I am and I spend some quality time there), I kid her that she's hanging out with my boyfriend again.

A lot of socializing goes on in the cafeteria. Although I'm a "commuter student," which just means I live off-campus, I can still eat in the dining hall. I buy meal tickets; kind of like those ones you got when you were in elementary school! Except here you buy them all at once -- 25 meals for $100. Not bad, considering it's all you can eat!

So far, I haven't met any other Episcopalian students or at least none that were Episcopalian when they started at Asbury. Quite a few students have made one of the conservative Episcopal churches in Lexington their home -- one is Episcopal, the other is actually AMIA (Anglican Mission in America). So, they don't necessarily claim the Episcopal church (yet!) But I guess what I'm saying is, I'm the only student I know of who is pursuing ordination in the Episcopal church here. I understand that there's quite a few at the Orlando, Fla. campus.

Before I go for the night, I do have to mention chapel at Asbury. I know I've written about it before, but it's such a big part of life here. We have chapel on Tuesdays and Thursdays and the chapel is absolutely packed. There's also a Wednesday Eucharist service in a really small chapel. The thing is -- these services are AMAZING! I don't even know how to explain it. The music, the word preached and even the liturgy, it's just so real and exciting. It's nearly impossible not to feel the presence of God and the rejoicing over Jesus' resurrection and conquering sin. You might think a bunch of seminary students together would create some kind of religiosity experience, but it really is amazing the authenticity you see in those serving us and those gathered.

I had the opportunity to help serve communion during the first campus-wide communion service of the semester. That was cool. It was more of a liturgical type service; I wore an alb and was in a procession carrying the cup, while others carried bread, the Bible, the cross and banners. It was neat to be part of that. It's a tradition that at the beginning of each semester they have some of the brand new students serve communion as a way to symbolize that they are now fully integrated into this community where we serve each other.

Well, I could go on all night, but I gotta get some shut-eye before church in the morning.

Let's just say that I continue to be aware that God has led me to where He wants me and I am SO GLAD!

Hallelujah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home