Blessings, Michelle

Finishing up her final semester at seminary, this former news reporter looks forward to begin full-time Christian ministry in the Anglican tradition.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilmore, Kentucky, United States

What you see is what you get.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Raccoon Mafia

Well, I gotta say, ever since I used that mini bungee cord to strap my trash can to the railing outside, the raccoon hasn't been able to tip over the trash can. Or should I say, raccoons?

Sunday night I was about to go to bed, but I thought I'd just turn on the outside porch light to sneak a peek at the trash can. It was 11:30 p.m. and a raccoon had already messed with the trash barrel. Although the handles were up, the raccoon was able to pry one side of the lid up and, apparently, climb inside. Since she can't tip it over, she's "dumpster diving." How the raccoon is able to get back out of the trash can, I'm not sure. The sides are slick plastic.

Anyway, there wasn't much trash to pick up at least, just some aluminum foil beside the trash can.

I re-locked the lid and opened the door -- just then, Ellie (my cat) ran out! I made an attempt to reach down and grab her, but I just got her tail, which slipped through my hand. Ugh! First the raccoon, now the cat!

I went inside and grabbed the can of Pounce (cat treats). I called for Ellie and put a treat or two down on the ground, she came out and began sniffing at one and I picked her up and brought her back inside.

That was enough excitement for one night.

Well... the next morning I got up and the trash can was open AGAIN with some paper towels from the trash left on top of the lid. And this time, the raccoon was actually able to push the locking handle down. I think I need to call National Geographic or something, I swear, these animals are adapting to the challenge!

Well, this got me thinking... did the same raccoon come back for seconds or do we have multiple raccoons? Is this like a raccoon gang? Word gets out on the street about that great trash can...

"It's tough getting in there, man, but it's heaven once you get inside. You gotta try it."

So... Monday night, my roommate and I added a couple new challenges. We added another mini bungee cord to the top of the lid, running it through the locking handles and securing it to the railing. Second, we turned on the porch light -- as I understand it, these nocturnal creatures don't like light. Third, we sprayed some bleach on the lid and the bungee cord, just for good measure.

This morning, it appeared the trash can was unmolested.

If it seems like I'm getting a bit obsessed with this, well, what can I say? This is my life. And I really hate picking up garbage off the lawn.

Again, suggestions are always appreciated. Here's hoping that the raccoons don't evolve any further.

My mom's latest suggestion: Put moth ball flakes inside the garbage can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home