Blessings, Michelle

Finishing up her final semester at seminary, this former news reporter looks forward to begin full-time Christian ministry in the Anglican tradition.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilmore, Kentucky, United States

What you see is what you get.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Summering in Wilmore

Hey everybody... time for an update of the past six months or so.

I finished my first year of seminary with good grades -- yay! :)

The day after my last class I flew to Bakersfield where I gave my first homily at All Saints (and, as a friend pointed out, my second homily, since I preached at both the 8 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. services).

I got to visit a lot of my Btown homies, which was really cool and fun. The big highlight was meeting my godson, Jack, who was baptized during my visit. Jack is such a sweet, happy baby and I'm delighted to have a little tyke to be "related to" and to pray for.

The month of June I was technically "off": I didn't have a job and I wasn't taking a class, but it's been a bit of whirlwind.

I helped my church with some outreach. Oh yeah, and I got a roommate. Preparing for the roommate meant downsizing from both a bedroom and an office to one bedroom/office. In the midst of all this, I also purchased a new computer (my '99 Comp USA PC with less than 3 GB has been showing signs of a chronic illness for awhile now). -- And yes, I bought a PC -- I know, I know this will disappoint some of you, but economically and practically, it just made more sense.

I know some of you will be shocked that I got a roommate; being that I've been the independent bachelorette for so long. It really wasn't my idea; at least I don't think it was. I just woke up one morning and felt like God was telling me that if I was going to depend on him for my livelihood then it really wasn't up to me to decide whether I had a roommate or not. So, I made a deal: I'll look for a cheaper place to live where I can keep my cat (I also prayed about the cat issue, but that's another story) and if nothing pans out, I'll assume getting a roommate is the way to go. Well, I called a bunch of places and, of course, nothing panned out.

So, I posted something on the seminary's email system saying that I was looking for a roommate to ... well, I'll just show you what I posted:

Seeking a Female Roommate who is mature, responsible and appreciates a quiet home in a pastoral setting.
Two-bedroom, one bath duplex in Wilmore with big backyard backing up to a farm.
Hear the birds chirp in the morning and the crickets chirp at night, with an occasional moo or neigh.
Must enjoy living with a sweet, indoor, tabby cat.

Apartment is already mostly furnished. Fifteen-minute walk or two-minute drive from campus.

So, I got ONE response. Seriously, one. (OK, I had one other response after I got a roommate.)

And I asked her:
What do you like to do?
How do you handle conflict?
Are you and introvert or an extrovert?
What time do you go to bed?
etc. etc. etc.

Her answers were amazing. Seriously, like, all my fears about getting a roommate were practically vaporized.

The answer of all answers was to this question:

How much television do you watch?

Oh, well, this may sound weird, but I don't really watch TV. There aren't any shows that I like to watch.

That's when I heard the proverbial angels singing in Heaven.

Yeah, so that's working out well and helping with the finances in a big way. They're raising tuition here (again) and I've been taking a hard, honest look at my finances with the help of a seminary friend of mine who comes from the banking world. I've been praying a lot about my finances and am happy to report that I see God's hand in scholarships I've been awarded for the coming year and in supporters. But God isn't finished yet in this area as there's still a deficit to close. I'm looking to raise more support and to probably continue with the job I had last year at the elementary school.

In the meantime, I'm taking classes this summer. Church history I starts next week (and I've got A LOT of reading to do before Tuesday) and Church history II will be in August. These are both three-week intensive courses with pretty difficult exams from what I hear. So, pray for me, particularly for energy and alertness. The good news is that what I've read so far I find very interesting.

I did better in Greek than I expected, but have slacked off some this summer and I need to get back in the groove. I'm taking an exegesis class in the fall that will require extensive use of the Greek, as in I'll be translating many of the epistles and commenting on their grammar and the like. So, needless to say, I got to get back in gear. I've checked out a Greek grammar and accompanying workbook from the library. Hopefully I will peek at that from time to time between reading gobs of church history.

So, that's some of the substance of my life.

As always, I appreciate your friendship, notes, support and prayers!

God bless,

Michelle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home